Old January 1st 04, 02:56 PM
N2EY

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

On 31 Dec 2003 23:56:47 GMT, N2EY wrote:

Just one example: The government used tax dollars to rescue Chrysler
about 20 years ago. It turned out to be a good gamble because Chrysler
paid back all of the money with interest, and in the end it cost the
taxpayers nothing.

WHAT? Must be a different "government" and "Chrysler" than the one
that I remember, where all the government did was to be the "final"
guarantor of loans that Chrysler was seeking from the private sector
banks, enabling Chrysler to get a much lower interest rate than they
could get without such "bailout". No government money was expended,
nor would any have been expended unless Chrysler defaulted on said
loans, which of course they did not do.

Of course you are correct, sir! My explanation was incomplete and misleading on
the use of taxpayer dollars to bail out Chrysler.

However, the point is still valid. The Feds got involved in saving a major US
corporation. Taxpayer dollars and government resources certainly *were* spent
in studying the problem and setting up the loan guarantees, even if Chrysler
never got a nickel of govt. money directly.

And the question remains - was that bailout a "conservative" or a "liberal"
action?

73 de Jim, N2EY