Old January 1st 04, 04:39 PM
Bill Sohl

"Hans K0HB" wrote in message
om...
(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote

As for "free upgrades", the FCC already unleased THAT genie with

thier
last round of "restructuring" with no help at all from the ARRL.

And what "free upgrade" did you see in the last round or
restructuring?

The only thing that remotely resembles "free", was giving Pre-87
Technicians credit for the General written exam which they took.
Since the exam was EXACTLY the same as Generals took, I don't see any
freebie there.

But just wait till ARRL BoD meets next month...... I expect to see
them recommend a three-tier license regime, with a new low-powered 50W
beginners "C" license, a new mid-range "B" license with 3-400W power
limit, and a new top of the line "A" class license with 1.5KW power
limit and a CW test in the 15-25WPM range. Frequency ghettos for "C"
and "B" similar to now. Current Novice/Tech get free upgrade to "B"
privs, current General/Advanced get free upgrade to "A".
Yawwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

I'm sure I'll miss some of the details in their proposal, but the
above is pretty much the way I read the tea-leaves.
73, de Hans, K0HB

The important aspect of getting to any truly "new" licensing scheme
absolutly requires either some free upgrades, loss of some privileges
or a combination of both. Hans's view of the future takes into
account a "least" loss approach plus free upgrades. I could easily
support Hans's vision above. The one differing aspect I think
would be that the "C" license would more likly have a 100W
limit since 50w would exclude a great many rigs.

Personally, I have no problem with free upgrades if it makes
sense and is done to (1) simplify overall and (2) avoids taking
significant privileges away from anyone already licensed.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK