Old January 1st 04, 05:41 PM
KØHB

"Bill Sohl" wrote

Assuming "free upgrades"
as was noted in your post, what's the overall harm?

You're a bright guy, Bill, so surely you can see the "overall harm", but
maybe you're having some trouble shaking off the effects of your New Years
Eve celebration, so I'll spell it out for you.

Today, passing the Amateur Extra exam is the qualification required for full
amateur privileges. An existing General or Advanced licensee has passed a
less comprehensive set of examinations, and has not (by FCC definition)
demonstrated qualification for full amateur privileges.

If FCC suddenly upgrades all General and Advanced licenses to Amateur Extra,
then ipso facto and ipso jure the qualification required for full amateur
privileges has been lowered by two full steps.

Given that sad state of affairs, now any NEW amateur hopefuls can reasonably
plead that any examination more comprehensive than the current General
discriminates against new applicants.

In some circles I've heard that called "the Great Dumbing Down" of amateur
radio.

73, de Hans, K0HB