Old January 4th 04, 03:14 AM
Mike Coslo

Robert Casey wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

The question kind of states it. I suppose that the BW might be wider
as the speed increases.

CW code signals are around 100Hz wide, IIRC.

The reason I ask is that on 3580 tonight, we're all sitting there fat,
dumb, and happy, when W1AW starts it's CW broadcast. And it's some 700
kHz wide!!! And now I'd swear it's almost 3kHz wide. That's like SSB!!!

It might seem so if your receiver was in SSB mode. A narrowband signal
will still be
heard throughout the passband of a filter set for a wideband mode.
Also, if you were in CW receive mode instead, the receiver's AGC will
make the
attenuation of that filter's side skirts seem worse. What would be 10dB
down without
AGC will look like only say 3dB if the AGC is enabled. Especially as
you mentioned
(below) that w1aw was a strong signal.

Okay, but would it wreck the other signals as a matter of course? That's
what I worry about.

Needless to say, their strong signal was pretty tough on all us 5 and
ten watters. you could get most of a message through, but it took a lt
of the fun out of it.