Old January 4th 04, 03:22 AM
Mike Coslo

Jim Hampton wrote:

Mike,

You're received a number of good answers. As for measuring bandwidth, I've
used exactly two receivers that would be suitable for accurate measurement,
and I couldn't afford either of them. With stability measured in 10 to the
9th power and accuracy at 10 to the 8th, these little babes were well over
$50,000 in the mid 90s. LOL. Oh, and that doesn't include the cost of the
IF spectrum analyser that was connected to one of them, nor any other costs
such as calibrated antennas.

As stated, the rise and fall times of the waveform determine the bandwidth;
often the receiver can deceive you as to what the bandwidth is.

Of course, it is possible there may have been a problem at W1AW.

W1AW trouble would be my guess. The signal didn't "look right", which
is to say it didn't look like the CW signals we've coexisted with on
3580 until now. And the other ops were complaining about it too, and
some were a good deal further from W1AW than I am.

- Mike KB3EIA -