Old January 5th 04, 12:41 AM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

Given that ARRL likely will lobby for continuing a code test for Amateur
Extra (12-13WPM?) applicants, I predict that Morse testing will not be
eliminated in this decade.

While it's a cop out, it's probably the only way they can get 15 politicians
to sign up for a "New Amateur Radio Plan" without a palace revolt on their
hands at the BoD meeting. They'll be able to go back to East Overshoe, Iowa
and Resume Speed, Arizona and mumble platitudes to their membership about
how "We've opened HF to non-Morse applicants, but where it really counts we
actually increased the Morse requirement."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

73, de Hans, K0HB