Old January 6th 04, 10:43 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
news
"N2EY" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart" writes:
The FCC doesn't have a mandate
to test discipline.

Yes, they do. That's what the "character"
stuff in the rules is about.

I've read the rules many times, but must have missed the part or parts
about character testing.

There's a local ham around here who
has generated so much trouble on
various repeaters and earned himself
so many warning letters that FCC is
considering not renewing his license
for "character" reasons. IOW he
simply doesn't have the necessary
self-discipline to be a ham.

First, what does that have to do with testing? Second, there is nothing

in
the rules about refusing a renewal based on character, so I seriously

doubt
that would be the FCC's explination for any action like this (a pattern of
rule violations, yes).

Agreed. But those things do constitute
"discipline".

Only if you stretch the word to mean something beyond common usage.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Unfortunately, I believe I have heard the story of which Jim speaks...or at
least one exactly like it. In fact, it seems to me that it was related to
the renewal of....hmmm, was it that Herb Schoen...something-or-other down in
the Carribean somewhere? Whatever license renewal denial it was, it was due
to character and that was the words of the FCC.

I think that's most unfortunate and don't agree with the practice at all.
Bust someone for R&R, etc., but the FCC--nor anyone and certainly not a
government--should be able to deny something because of "character."

Kim W5TIT