Old January 7th 04, 02:18 AM
N2EY

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Let's see, several petitions were submitted a few months ago, and the
comment periods are now closed. So it's probably sitting on some
brearucrat's desk right now. Or at the bottom of the pile on one or more
commissioners' desks, looked at when there's nothing better to do.

I doubt very much that the Commissioners read individual comments on
ham radio issues like that. If my guess is right, one or two staffers have
to read all of them and come up with what they think is the best solution
for all concerned.

And they'll spend a few minutes
looking at the restructuring R&O, find the part about code kept only because
of the treaty, note that the t[r]eaty has changed, delete the code
requirement, and
publish it in the federal register.

Maybe. They could also change their minds based on any number of factors.
Or simply use the petitions to formulate an NPRM.

Then it takes force 4 months later.

Unless we go through a whole NPRM cycle.

So it cannot
take place before May 2004 (date it takes force, "when Morse code
testing will
be eliminated in the US"). Add a few more months for the brearucracy, so
I say "August 1, 2004"

I'll put you on the list..

73 de Jim, N2EY