Old January 10th 04, 12:50 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
.net...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...
OK Bert, show me where it says that Part 97 mandates public service.

There
is nothing in this quote to that effect.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Sorry about that, Dee.

While the following is not an actual part of Part 97, I feel it means
something...especially since we were all issued a reminder by a very high
profile FCC employee directly responsible for an aspect of the ARS.

THE AMATEUR'S CREED

The Radio Amateur is:

CONSIDERATE---never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the
pleasure of others.

LOYAL---offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateur, local
clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in
the United States is represented nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE---with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and

efficient
station and operation above reproach.

FRIENDLY---slow and patient operating when requested, friendly advice and
counsel to the beginner, kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration
for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur

spirit.

BALANCED---radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to
family, job, school, or community.

PATRIOTIC---station and skill always ready for service to country and
community.

(Paul M. Segal, W9EEA wrote the original Amateurs Code, in 1928

The PATRIOTIC description pretty much sums it up.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Oh I definitely agree that part of being a ham is doing public service. It
is just that there is a big difference between should and must.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE