Old January 10th 04, 08:35 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article .net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

That way, no one who was
interested would be forced off the air, but at the same time there would
be
incentive to get a full-privs renewable license.

If, after 10 years as a learner and exposed to mainstream ham radio they
can't qualify for a standard license, then another 10 years isn't likely to
be sufficient to become qualified.

That may well be the case, Hans. And since some Morse Code skill is
obviously part of being a qualified full-privileges radio amateur, it makes

sense that the standard license would include a Morse Code test.

I can't imagine "one who was interested" would fail to qualify in 10 years,
but if they didn't, well I guess there are other hobbies like finger
painting which might be less challenging and not require a federal license
to pursue.

Exactly.

I can't imagein "one who was interested" not taking the time to learn
Morse code either, but if they didn't want to I gues there are other
things like wait around until it goes away, which might be less challenging!

You must be absolutely right, Mike, therefore all who don't learn
morse code "must not be interested in radio!"

In my case, exposure to the big leagues of HF radio communications
while in the US Army piqued an interest in radio that eventually led
to changing majors (drastic change) and entering the electronics
industry to become an engineer.

The US Army didn't use any morse code to send over 200,000
messages a month from a command Hq in Japan. There's no need
to know morse code for electronics engineering or for most of the
radio transmitters of the 1950s on through the 2000s.

A quarter million IEEE members worldwide (me included) must not
have any "interest in radio" because we don't or didn't learn morse
code.

I've never heard of any morse code classes as part of electrical
engineering curricula anywhere in the world. Maybe all those
students for EEs aren't "really" interested in radio?

Consider that there's NO communications carriers in the USA
even using morse code for any communications purposes today.
I guess they must "not be interested" because morse isn't used.

How about that?

LHA