Old January 11th 04, 05:49 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
k.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

"DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE" wrote in message
My question is, if you have elements 1 and 2, even after a year has
passed after taking element 1, do you still have the "novice" HF
privileges of the Tech +HF, or do you have to take element 1 every 365
days to keep the privilege, even if you don't upgrade to General.

Your Novice privileges are good forever so long as you do not let your
license lapse. You do NOT have to retest to keep the privileges.

Correct.

You do
have to keep a copy of the CSCE in your file even though it has expired

in
case you ever need to prove it.

Many novices may not even have their original CSCE. The FCC would
also recognize a copy of your former Novice license as proof you passed
5 wpm.

Yes that is true but I was addressing the case of someone who's first
license was a Technician. Since the the no-code Tech license became
available over a decade ago, very few people have entered the ARS through
the Novice license and since April of 2000, the issuance of new Novice
licenses was discontinued. So a lot of these people have never had a Novice
license to use as proof although it would indeed fulfill the requirements.

To use the CSCE as credit for the General upgrade, you have to upgrade
within 365 days. If you do not upgrade in 365 days, you will have to

retest
on code for the General.

My understanding is Novice has permanent credit for 5 wpm. No CSCE
needed if the Novice has a valid current license.

Yes that is true but I was only addressing the case of where all they have
is the CSCE. i.e. They never held a Novice license.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE