Old January 12th 04, 04:15 AM
Len Over 21

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

(snip) Even sense 3 would be a
requirement as when one is given an
assignment, you are supposed to
carry that assigment. It is not just a
suggestion or desireable activity. If
a person or group does not carry
through on an assignment, then that
assignment is given to a group who
will.

Dee, I've repeatedly explained to you what was meant by the word

mandate.
Nothing is required or mandatory in the context used. Likewise, without a
stated obligation, there is nothing required or mandatory in giving an
assignment or task to someone (or in giving authorization to someone). If
you still cannot understand this, I suggest you look carefully at the

words
"mandate," "assigns," "authorization," and so on, including the synonyms.

have nothing more to say on the matter.

I repeat, Part 97 does NOT mandate
in any way shape or form that amateurs
participate in public service.

Sorry, but public service is at the very heart of the basic and purpose

of
the Amateur Radio Service (as described in 97.1). And, while there is
nothing mandatory about it, the mandate (authorization) to do so still
remains. Likewise, I have nothing more to say on this matter.

Again nothing in Part 97 gives amateurs a mandate in any sense of the
meaning of the word. It does NOT in any section of Part 97 authorize us to
do or assign us to do public service. So you remain wrong. I've just
finished reviewing Part 97 and it's not there. In 97.1 it is "recognition
and enhancement of the value..". That is not a mandate, that is not
authorization, that is not an assignment. It is a way of justifying
allowing us to continue to have the frequencies and privileges that we enjoy
but that is not a mandate.

We will all laminate your words and keep them in our wallets...
especially for the next morseperson demanding that morse
code testing be kept for similar reasons... :-)

WMD