Old January 12th 04, 04:15 AM
Len Over 21

In article , (N2EY)
writes:

In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

Of course! But if you wait too long, the opportunity may be lost. ......
If you wait too long, FCC could move on to the NPRM process
before you ever get the petition sent in.

Did I miss something?

No, but I did. Thank you for clearing up your thinking on your
method of presenting your proposal, Hans.

Is this the last NPRM that FCC will issue in Amateur
Radio matters?

Of course not! But once FCC does so (probably some months after ARRL does its
proposal), it will be a while before they want to reopen that can of worms
again.

Of course I could be mistaken on that. I thought that FCC would simply dump
Element 1 via Memorandum Report and Order soon after S25.5 changed. At most I
thought there'd be a quickie NPRM. But instead it looks like we're in for a
long ride.

So, as the "insider" you don't consider consideration of the "ARS
Community" to be important?

Just on the petition comments alone, FCC has nearly twice the
documents that 98-143 had already and NO NPRM has yet been
issued.

If and when an NPRM on code-testing appears, the commentary
received is going to be gigantic in my estimation. It will make the
four-year-old-plus comments on 98-143 seem paltry in comparison.

The current salad bowl of 14 (15?) petitions is primarily concerned with
Morse testing for HF access. I've already commented on that matter.

So did I.

There are 4,661 documents on the 14 petitions. What is your
percentage of the total?

Perhaps my preference for doing a job once rather than nickel-and-diming it to
death is showing in that I think a more comprehensive approach (like your
proposal) is better. But that's just me - and it's *your* proposal anyway.

Perhaps you don't care to spend the time and effort to reply/comment
on all 14 petitions?

Did the FCC "lose" some of your comments? I don't see 14 comments
under your name. [it's all public, you know, no "google" needed...]

My main concern is that if you wait until the Morse Code test issue noise dies
down, it may be a long wait *and* there may be an addy-tood of "oh no, we're
not going to reopen THAT can of worms again". Meanwhile, really bad proposals
like the "21st Century" ideas may take the stage, or even be enacted. As much
as I disagree with some parts of your proposal, it is infinitely preferable
to the "21st Century" concepts.

Hiram forbid EVER taking the US amateur radio service "into the
21st century!"

Morse code uber alles! Marsch, marsch, marsch...

WMD