Old January 14th 04, 12:55 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart" wrote:
To do the types of public service
we're authorized to do (MARS,
RACES, and so on), authorization
is required.

Sec. 97.407 (snip)

That is an authorization to operate
on those frequencies and an
authorization to operate the station
not an authorization to do public
service. (snip)

"That is authorization to operate on those frequencies" to do what, Dee?
The only answer is "public service" in this context. When it comes to
Amateur Radio, we perform our public service using the Amateur Radio
frequencies. And the FCC is the governing agency that says what is
authorized on those frequencies (not everything is - your license is not a
blank check to do what you want with the Amateur frequencies). For

example,
when it comes to the walk-a-thon you mentioned, the FCC has set rules on
what is and isn't authorized in that situation. The same with your power
blackout situation. And the same with ARES. In other words, you are only
allowed to use your radio in situations authorized, and in the manner
authorized. One situation authorized is public service.

(snip) That does not change the fact
that there is no mandate to do so.

Again, the words mandate and authorization are synonymous.

There is no authorization from the FCC required to do public service. We
have never needed government authorization to do public service. That the
FCC has simply formally recognized the value of amateur's public service
efforts does not constitute authorization to do public service. I've read
Part 97 beginning to end. All it authorizes is the use of specific
frequencies for specific license classes. It mandates meeting safety and
signal requirements and operational limits. The only words relating to
public service are simply those recognizing the fact of our value in public
service and encouraging us to continue.

You have just demonstrated how little you know about ARES and RACES.

RACES isn't allowed to function (except for limited practice sessions)
unless specifically activated and called to action by the government. The
FCC isn't even granting any more RACES station authorizations. They really
are not a public service group but instead are a volunteer civilian
auxiliary to the government. Thus RACES cannot do anything other than
follow the specific orders of the government when specifically activated.
They cannot do walk-a-thons or any other volunteer work or public service
work.

On the other hand, ARES is totally independent of the government and is
strictly an organization set up by and run by hams. The hams themselves
decide if, when and where they will do public service. ARES is not even
mentioned in the FCC rules. They can do any public service they want to so
long as they do not violate the FCC rules. The FCC has nothing whatsoever
to do with ARES.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE