Old January 14th 04, 08:20 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

(snip) We need no authorization whatsoever
to do public service. (snip) There is NO
mandate. There is NO authorization.

How can you sit there and say that, Dee? Again, if you're going to do
public service with a Ham radio, you're only allowed to do public service
which is authorized. You may not do it for profit. You may not do it for a
for-profit business or organization unless it serves the public only, not
the for-profit entity. You may not do it for a non-profit entity if it can
be used for profit (status reports for a walk-a-thon, for example). You

may
do it only on the frequencies authorized. And so on. There are rules

across
the board as to what is and isn't authorized.

The FCC does not authorize any particular form of public service that we do.
By the way whether or not ham radio is involved, public service is by
definition not for profit. If it is for profit, it's not public service. I
can do public service anytime I want to using ham radio. The club I belong
happens to focus especially on public service. We do the diabetes
walk-a-thons, the MS walk-a-thons and a plethora of others. I do not need
the FCC's authorization or permission to do so. I don't even have to be a
member of a club. I can do public service as an individual if I so choose.
Nowhere does the FCC state what public service I may or may not do using ham
radio. I can use any ham radio frequency that I am licensed for. There are
no special frequencies set aside for public service.

The not for profit clause (and it's exceptions) applies to all ham radio
activities and are not specific to public service.

The frequency privileges/restrictions are apply to all ham radio actitivies
and are not specific to public service.

The FCC regulations in Part 97 apply to all ham radio activities and are not
specific to public service.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE