Old January 14th 04, 09:02 PM
Dee D. Flint

"JEP" wrote in message
om...
"KØHB" wrote in message

ink.net...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote-

I repeat the words in 97.1a amount only to a recognition of the fact
that we
do public service and encouragement to us to continue. It is not an
authorization to do public service. We need no authorization
whatsoever to
do public service. Amateur radio operators have always participated
in
public service and have done so since before those words were
incorporated
into the FCC rules. There is NO mandate. There is NO authorization.

You guys are engaged in picking fly**** out of the pepper pot. Since
97.1 is headlined "Basis and Purpose", we can pretty much accept that
97.1(a) is the equivalent of a direct order.

Putting it another way, if ARRL BoD at their meeting this weekend passes
a resolution that the FCC has not authorized us to public service
communications, and therefore hams are no longer mandated to provide it,
our continued use of the spectrum would come to a quick end.

73, de Hans, K0HB

We only have what we do by the grace on the FCC and Congress. There is
no part of part 95 or 97 that is a congress passed law only a rule set
up by the FCC. We only have what we do because of the possibility that
we may perform a public service. Hans is correct. No public service
equals no amateur radio. Most public service today could be carried
using Nextel or some other cell. Most PS is auto traffic or weather
and could easily be done that way.

While it is true that public service is one of the stronger justifications
for hams being allocated frequencies, it is not the only justification. And
a justification for our existence is not the same as having a mandate or
authorization to do public service. It is entirely up to the ham community
as to how diligently we want to pursue public service and how strong we want
this justification to do. Remember it is only ONE of several
justifications. Perhaps we need to focus on some of the others. It looks
to me like we are falling very short in the technical development area for
example.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE