Old January 18th 04, 03:52 PM
Leo

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:06:09 -0600, "Scott"
wrote:

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Re-reading my origanal post, I seem to have come off as a bit of an idiot. I
think maybe I should have taken things a little slower.

Not at all, Scott. There was absolutely nothing wrong with any of
your comments or the way that you said them. Anyone new tends to be
viewed somewhat suspciously in this group - until their intentions are
clear. No big deal!

The unsociable amateurs that you met at the club are the idiots!

In fact, it's good for some of the long time hams here to see what the
views and impressions are of those who are new to the amateur radio -
it shows where improvements are needed to generate more interest in
the hobby. Your club, for example, could use someone in charge of
meeting with new members or visitors and introducing them around -
making them feel welcome.

And once again, thanks for the gerat advice.

Keep asking questions, Scott! When you get on the air for the first
time, you will meet lots of hams who will patiently guide you through
the mechanics of communicating with them - that's where the real fun
(and learning) begins! An example:

My first QSO on HF was with an informal net on 40 meters that I had
been listening to for a few days - and learning how it worked.
Finally, I got up the courage to push the button and say "Contact"
(like I'd heard the others do). The net controller invited me to call
in, I identified myself and told them that this was my first HF
contact since I passed my Morse Code test - and was promptly welcomed
in personally by over 20 other hams, several over 1000 miles away!
Best contact that I have ever had, and the friendliest bunch of people
that I have ever met. Still talk to most of them whenever I have the
chance.

Good luck, and have fun!

73, Leo