Old January 18th 04, 08:20 PM
N2EY

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
. com...
"KØHB" wrote in message

link.net...

Since
97.1 is headlined "Basis and Purpose", we can pretty much accept that
97.1(a) is the equivalent of a direct order.

An order to the entire ARS, not to individual amateurs. Of course, if
no individual amateurs do what 97.1(a) says, the ARS doesn't do it
either.

And a service which doesn't at least fulfill its B&P loses its reason
to exist.

I strongly support public service. Yet the Basis and Purpose statement
speaks of encouragement and enhancement of what we already do. It is not
granting us any special authorization or mandate to do what we already do.

Maybe. Did you know that the B&P boilerplate was only added in 1951?

To me, the B&P is essentially a sort of expectation of what FCC wants the ARS
to be doing "as a whole". Doesn't mean any particular ham has to do it, but
that
if we as a group don't do those things, eventually there will be no need for an
ARS
to exist.

[snip] Hans is right - take away the public service aspect, and the ARS'
reason
to exist is radically reduced, if not totally eliminated. Which may be
exactly why some nonhams find it necessary to deny that amateur radio
provides any public service, and to describe amateur radio as purely
"a fun hobby".

I have many times in many forums objected to the phrase "it's just a hobby"
for this very reason.

Well said!

I strongly believe in public service. I strongly
believe that it is one of, but not the only, justification for our
existence. However if we are going to put so much emphasis on this
particular element we have to face the fact that we are very remiss
addressing the other elements listed under Basis and Purpose. But again a
justification to exist is neither a requirement nor an authorization.

I agree 100% - I'd use the word "expectation".

73 de Jim, N2EY