Old January 18th 04, 08:34 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "Scott"
writes:

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Only in THIS venue, Scott.

In THIS venue, all the pro-code newsgroupies require all to think,
act, do, behave, and moralize as they do.

To them, amateur radio is NOT a hobby, not a normal recreation.

It is a Way of Life. Comes complete with a rigid moral code.

Pro-coders RULE amateur radio (in here).

All who deviate from an inflexible code of ethics established in 1928
shall be punished (in here) by contant, unremitting pejorative
pummeling by the pro-coders for even daring to say one unkind
word about the Sacred Olde Ways of amateurdom.

Not only are they rigid and inflexible while marching in unified ranks,
they are generally without humor since they are near-absolute
literalists who demand (if not dictate) all following their Orders.

I've been trying to get a word in on the SUBJECT of morse code
testing and have been a constant target of character assassination
by these pro-code newsgroupies. No "civil debate" possible in that
cacophony of code.

Never mind that I got into big-time HF communications at a young
age (much more so than any other in here) and that led to a
career choice of electronics engineering (a decided major change
in education).

No matter. Heil says that is not enough "interest in radio," I must
learn morse code and become an amateur (NOT a professional) to
"show interest in radio."

The resident gunnery nurse spits on professionalism AND night
classes in EE, arming his slingshot with slimy spit and trying to
get down and give him 20 for talking against "superiors." Weird.

An olde-tymer of 48 going on 84 who lives in the past keeps
saying I am always "mistaken" and "incorrect" in another ploy of
perverse character assassination.

This is NOT anywhere close to a venue for "discussion of issues"
in amateur radio. It is a place for newsgroupies to gather and try
to turn into some kind of ARRL-south, to stir stock myths and
old ideas into a stew of meaty morse just like what HAD to be
done in the 1920s and 1930s.

Rigid, inflexible, all march to the same drumbeep.

Re-reading my origanal post, I seem to have come off as a bit of an idiot. I
think maybe I should have taken things a little slower.

No. I don't agree.

If any "error" was committed it was merely in underestimating the
vehemence of the pro-code Life Stylers, the worshippers of the
Church of St. Hiram, the Believers who take all their Life Guidance
from a single membership organization.

In Their view of ham radio, They say what "fun" is in The Service.

And once again, thanks for the gerat advice.

Amateur radio is an interesting, fascinating hobby, a recreational
pursuit involving an intriguing technology.

I'm coming up on my 51st anniversary of putting a 1 KW transmitter
on the air trans-Pacific. Radio and electronics is still fascinating
to me and I've explored a lot of it in the course of a half century.
Been in lots more of the EM spectrum than nearly all of these
rigid pure moralists in here. Never used morse code in all that time,
never had to. Used many more modes and modulations than are
allowed to amateurs. That's not enough!

According to all the pro-code newsgroupies in here, none of that is
"good enough for them." All must do as they did, learn morse code
and pass a morse test, for "morse code gets through when nothing
else will" (expletive deleted).

There can be NO talk or even a hint about changing the morse code
test regulation. Morse code testing MUST remain in the USA for
all radio amateurs. That is the only way to "real" U.S. ham radio.
Those who do not follow the dictates of the moral majority of
pro-code newsgroupies shall be banished from human society!

If the pro-coders had to do it, by darn, EVERYONE has to!

That's what it boils down to...a battle of newsgroup wills.

Those who haven't made out their "will" properly are to be
destroyed. [by any means possible...]

Hang in there, Scott. Pander to the would-be "authority wanna-bes"
if you have to...but GO YOUR OWN WAY. Be your own man, not
a puppet of those who dictate what you can do, what you shall
enjoy, what you must do to please them.

Independent thought is GOOD!

Leonard H. Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person