Old February 7th 04, 11:01 AM
matt wilson

"lethal" wrote in message
Hi folks,

firstly, i think the Virgin newsgroup/email server is playing up because i've
posted this several time to various NG's but none
have shown up. Humbliest appologies if this has show all those times , it's
not me messing about -- if they did show, i missed
them and the replies. If not, i hope this one gets through as i could do with
the help and advice.

i'm going to put up a random wire for general SWL . I have a kit w/ 25 mtrs of
wire / balun / coax feed ready to hang and receive.
Problem is my garden dimensions.

it's 8 mtrs wide , 10 mtrs long and diagonally 12 mtrs across - more or less a
square shape.

can anyone help with these suggestions on how to run the wire.

1) i've read you can't fold the wire back on itself. Could i come from one
corner of my house , follow the diagonal 12 mtrs
across the garden , support the wire on a pole at the opposite corner , then
Does this constitute folding the wire back on itself ? The angle of the bend
at the pole would be approx 45 deg. with the wire in
a V shape yet the wires would be an increasing distance apart up to the house.
Would this be a problem ?

2) I can fit in an inverted L but this would only be 16 mtrs of wire not
including coax feed. The coax feed would be coming out of
the loft and onto a bracket which would support the balun and straight onto
the horizontal length. The vertical bit would then
drop down at the far end . Would this work as all the pics of inverted L's ive
seen show the feed starting at the bottom of the
vertical first which then goes up to the horizontal and out

height isn't too much of a problem as i can get it over the guttering level.
This is all for RX not TX

sorry if these are basic, basic questions. I 'll be experimenting later but
for know, i just want to get it all up and running as
best as possible.

thanx again as usual,
Simon

If you want "all-round" performance with reasonable rejection of ignition
noise, etc, try getting some extra wire and rig up a loop right round your
8x10 meter garden. If you don't want to go that far, try a 10m and 8m legs at
right angles, joined by a balun & coax into the house. As always, get the
wires as high as you possibly can.

--

i want to die peacefully in my sleep , same as my grandad - not like his