Old February 7th 04, 07:12 PM
Uncle Peter

"ellisc" wrote in message
m...
I have an 80s model delco am/fm radio. I'd like to attach an external
long wire AM antenna, an external FM antenna, and rig something up so
I can listen to it with headphones at bedside.

Questions:

Depending on the frondend design... Early AM car radios included the
antenna feedline capacitance as part of the tuned circuit; and included
a trimmer to fine tune the radio tracking to match the antenna. The
antenna was connected to a very high impedance point of the RF
stage tank.

Later designs used aperiodic frontends, and were less critical. You
might loss ground using a long antenna on the set, depending on its
vintage.

pete