Old January 28th 04, 03:17 PM
Morbeius

Default Code-Schmode! Try this proposal instead.

Code? Schmode! (what a load?)

You "hams" want to keep the pride and technical prowess
within Amateur Radio into the new Century? Then do this:

1) Eliminate ALL code testing for ALL License classes.

2) Enact a complete re-vamping of the pool of the written
exam questions.

(and now for the rub)

3) DO NOT PUBLISH the question pools - PERIOD !

If someone wants an Amateur License, then they should have a
working technical and theoretical knowledge of RF Theorems and
all related aspects of electrical and electronic practice.

It used to be that if you were an Amateur Operator you had to demonstrate
a degree of professionality and knowledge

Having an Extra Class licence should be *almost equal* to someone
who has a BSEE. Both should be able to answer questions on varied
topics of Electrical Engineering with a reasonable degree of competence.

Until something along these lines is attempted, Amateur Radio will
be nothing more than glorified CB radio. I've been to enough club
meetings and hamfests where I've seen holders of Extra Class tickets
who couldn't comprehend even the most basic of electronics theory.
It didn't used to be this way!