Old February 7th 04, 07:11 PM
Dave Heil

Leo wrote:

Actually, Mike, I don't disagree with you at all - what she did was
quite inappropriate for the venue. But it ain't really that big a
deal....

If it is a big deal for a segment of the population, it is a big deal
for the network, the FCC and MTV.

Read the article that I referenced, if you have time - it presents an
interesting perspective on what tends to constitute "obscenity". Sex
bad, violence good - you know. And, as always, Jack Nicholson's
comment is priceless

I've not read or heard anything about obsenity being the issue. The
halftime show was quite inappropriate. Everyone is making the noise
about Janet Jackson but the lyrics used by P. Diddy, Nelly and Kid Rock
were offensive. Kid Rock's defacing of the American Flag and his use of
it as a poncho were offensive.

Example - I watched a bit of "Full Metal Jacket" on TBS a while back.
While all of the profanity and sexual references had been 'sanitized',
most of the gore and violence remained (it was funny, though, to see
Sgt. Hartman saying "Darn" and "Heck" and such, even though his lips
clearly had other intentions...).

Where did society get the mistaken impression that sex is bad, but
violence is OK? Is that really what we want to teach our children?

Songs about the use of women as sexual objects, about multiple casual
sexual partners, about the glorification of drug use, drinking and
criminal behavior in a public performance on prime-time TV are among the
things I'd rather children didn't see or hear because they cater to the
lowest, base side of humanity.

Dave K8MN