Old February 7th 04, 08:39 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Ms Jackson is free to expose
herself under appropriate circumstances. If she wants to do a dance
routine and have Justin Timberlake tear off part of her outfit. That is
also okay - tho she might want to use a less weird presentation.

There are appropriate television venues for that, such as HBO, Cinemax,

etc. Late night TV kind of stuff.

But not on the super bowl halftime show. Not on Teletubbies or Barney
or Blues Clues or fishing shows. Those just aren't the places for that
sort of thing. Even my favorite, the History channel, has some shows
that deal with sex and show nudity.

I gotta get cable...

Even then, it isn't smarmy stuff. It's mostly educational, with an
erotic undertone. It's the sort of thing that even if a youngster were
to watch it, they wouldn't be affected negatively

They put them on late at night when
the kids are in bed, and any viewing is strictly voluntary. No one harmed.

I agree 100%, Mike, but I'd put it this way:

The big problem isn't the content but whether it's expected or not when the
viewer tunes in. Shows like "Sex in the City" and "Coupling" pretty much
tell you what to expect by the name of the show. Other shows have warnings,
ratings and writeups in the program guides.

Good point.

The problem with the "wardrobe malfunction" was that nobody expected it except
Ms. Jackson. Yet she will not incur any fine or penalty. That's just wrong.

I'll bet she doesn't get on Prime-time TV without a tape delay, tho'!

Everything in it's time and place, and the superbowl isn't the time or
place IMO.

Agreed - particularly without any warning.

Some may say this whole thing ahs nothing to do with amateur radio policy, but
the exact opposite is true. The big problem with that "wardrobe malfunction"
was its unexpected nature. Since amateur radio is unscheduled, crosses time
zones and no licensee owns a frequency, the standards of all amateur on-air
activity have to be "G-rated".

Agreed! Why some people have a problem understanding that is beyond me.
Everything in moderation and in it's time and place. If Janet wants to
go around with parts hanging out of her clothes, she is welcome to.
(IMO) As long as as it is in the proper place. Otherwise, keep it clean.

- Mike KB3EIA -