Old February 9th 04, 12:25 AM
Leo

On 8 Feb 2004 18:21:54 GMT, Alun wrote:

snip

Have the Canadian rules changed? The last time I read it you had to be both
a US citizen and a US resident to qualify. I'm not an American (or a
Canadian either) so I couldn't operate in Canada using my US call.

The rules I read were certainly not reciprocal, though. An American with a
US call and residing in the US could operate in Canada for only 2 months
within the terms of the nearest Canadian licence (No WARC bands or 40m for
Generals!), whereas a Canadian with a Canadian call could operate
indefinitely in the US, even living here permanently, under the terms of
their Canadian licence (not to exceed Extra).

Not sure if they have changed, Alun - just discovered them when I
bacame a ham a couple of years ago! The link to the RAC page with
info on the current reciprocal agreement is:

http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm

and IC RIC-3, which contains the details on the various agreements, US
and other, is at:

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ric3.pdf/$FILE/ric3.pdf

From what I read in these documents, one need only possess a US
licence to gain full Canadian privileges appropriate to the licence
class. For countries other than the US, CEPT and IARP permits are
acceptable.

Hope that helps!

73, Leo