Old February 13th 04, 03:18 AM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message

However, I think that one of the problems today is that the entry-level

license
is too VHF/UHF/voice/applicane operator-centric.
The entry level license should offer a wide selection of bands and modes,
rather than what we have now where newcomers get all of VHF/UHF but no HF.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Newcomers with any gumption can have some HF if they choose to pass the
code. Tech study guide and test does include some very basic questions on
HF propagation, procedures, rules, etc. Unfortunately too many instructors
ignore the HF side of things and don't bother to give much encouragement to
go after the code so then the students end up on VHF/UHF only. My
instructor, many moons ago, really emphasized going for the "complete" Tech
license (Novice written + Tech written + code). I'm glad he did.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE