Old February 13th 04, 05:20 AM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(Brian Kelly) writes:

I wonder if there are any Allied employees left from the days when
they were in the ham biz.

Allied Radio is still an electronics parts distributor, was never solely
in the "ham biz."

Who said it was?

Allied is now a division of Hamilton-Avnet and
MUCH bigger than it was when they had a single building in Chicago.

They've been bigger since about 1970 when Tandy bought 'em. Allied had
quite a chain of strip mall and downtown stores across the country.
That's precisely why Tandy bought them. Almost all of them became Radio
Shack stores.

I'd been there...impressive showroom to a 15 year old, but not that
great in 1956 when I was 23.

It takes a lot to impress a suave man-of-the-world such as you.

Newark Electronics is still in the electronics parts distributor biz,
also bigger than it was in the 1950s.

Pittsburgh's Cameradio is still in business as CAM/RPC after merging
with Cleveland's Radio Parts Company (the RPC). Hughes-Peters is still
in business though the company has been sold. None of them were ever
solely in the amateur radio business. Hughes-Peters Cincinnati Division
had nine hams on staff and always advertised in the GCARA's "Mike and
Key". Many of our customers had radio amateurs employed. The company
had a busy parts counter and figured that dollars from hams were as good
as dollars from anyone else.

There's lots more places to get parts for hum radios now, but the
old-style parts of a half century are very, very scarce. :-)

No, Leonard, they aren't. There are simply fewer places selling them.
With the stock I have out in the barn, I might run out in another fifty
or so years.

You really ought to get out more...

....sez our resident expert in all things electronic.

Dave K8MN