Old February 15th 04, 03:57 AM
Mark Little

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Mark Little"

writes:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
snip
The idea that non-amateurs "not understanding" amateur radio is

false
and little more than an attempt at rationalization of their own

ignorance.

The idea that one who has no experience in using amateur radio has no
real feel for amateur radio is no falsehood.

Nonsense. There is nothing in life that is so insular that one cannot get

"real feel" of it by doing similar things.

The question, then, is "what is a similar thing?"

What would be similar to, say:

- having a baby

According to a woman I know, passing a kidney stone. She has done both so is
probably in a good situation to know. I will take that one on faith as
neither seems that appealing.

- running a marathon

"Hitting the wall" and the physical tribulations associated with a marathon
are not limited to running. If you have done other activities that stress
the body, then you are in a position to get the "feel". In my case, that is
just running to the end of the street. ;-)

- playing a musical instrument really well

Anyone who has had to practice long and hard to achieve any hand skill will
know the satisfaction that comes with doing something well. I can't play the
guitar "really well", but I think it is safe to say I have a feel for what
it would be like to be able to do so.

(others are invited to add to the list)

Jumping off a cliff - Never done it, but I have a good feel for what
happens - At the bottom, you go splattt!!!!!

I've worked in commercial/scientific radio communications as well as

being
an Amateur and there is a great deal of similarity between the

operations -
there are licences, there are regulations, there are serious

conversations,
there are "rag chew" conversations, there is problem solving and

information
exchange. These is even a "siblinghood" (is that the PC equivalent of
"brotherhood"? ;-) ) amongest the operators.

There are also big differences.

What exactly are you suggesting is so different in AR that it is

completely
alien from any other activity?

Several things:

1) Hams have a level of freedom pretty much unmatched in other services.

Wide
variety of modes, bands, technologies, and activities. No channelization

or
requirement to use certain types of equipment.

I suggest that you look at the FCC page and search for "experimental
licence". These couple of snippets may be of interest to show its breadth:

"Any person or entity--corporation, individual, etc. that is not a foreign
government or representative of a foreign government may obtain an
experimental license."

"Any frequency allocated to non-Government or Government use in the Table
of Frequency Allocations may be assigned under the Experimental Radio
Service, except frequencies exclusively allocated to the passive services."

Use of non-approved equipment is also permitted with this licence.

2) Hams are almost all self-funded and noncommercial, using their own

equipment
on their own time.

Agreed, but again this is not unique. Plenty of people including CB
operators and pleasure marine radio operators in the same boat (pun
intended).

3) [this it the really big one] Amateur radio is, at its core, radio
communication for its own sake. To other services, radio is but a means to

an
end, but to hams the medium really is a big part of the message. Or to put

it
another way, the ham's journey is as important, if not more important,

than the
destination.

You are incorrect to assert that the medium is not important to others,
especially in the scientific community. Radio propagation research by
definition is interested in the medium.

It is also misleading to imply that the majority of Amateur have the medium
as the primary focus of their activities. The majority of Amateurs use
commercial equipment and spend the majority of their time chin-wagging. From
their conversations, it is obvious that the conversation is more import than
the medium.

This is why certain things from other services don't apply to hams.

The person watching TV usually doesn't care how the signal gets to the

set -
VHF, UHF, terrestrical, satellite, analog, digital, cable, fiber,

whatever. All
the TV viewer cares about is how good the picture, sound and program are.

While the person who watches TV may have no idea how it works, there is a
complete army of people behind that tube that do know how it works and why
it works. If one were to subtract the number of hams who cannot even fix a
simple fault in their commerical rig, the odds would not be much different.

The military communications folks don't care how the messages are carried,

just
so the messages get where they need to be, when they need to be there,

without
the bad guys knowing about them.

I'll bet its fair to say that most Amateurs do not understand how Packet,
PACTOR or even just their rigs work. They simply plug in the boxes and off
they go.

Do you know or care how your email and postings get to and from your

computer?

Actually, I do as I run my own servers.

If you're like 99.99% of the online population, it's not an issue as long

as it
happens.

This is also the case for many Amateurs. Most would not know how their
current rig works and they would neither have the expertise or equipment to
find anything but the most trivial of faults.

Heck, many if not most cellphone users don't even think in terms of

"radio" -
the cellphone to them is a telephone without wires, that's all. (In fact I

have
had people tell me that a cellphone is *not* a radio!)

As I said most Amateurs don't know how packet works or even how their Yaesu
works. Under this defintion, most Amateurs aren't amateurs either. If one
goes into particular instances, I've fixed radios for more than one full
call that could not find that the battery wire had broken. Such anecdotes
may be amusing, but have little value in the big picture.

The radio amateur does radio, for the most part, for purely emotional

reasons.
IOW, because it's fun, rewarding, challenging, educating, etc. "Radio for

it's
own sake".

Certainly in the area I work, I have seen the scientists knock back very
large amounts of money because it didn't have a research component that they
found "fun, rewarding, challenging, educating, etc."

This is why modes like Morse code, AM voice and Baudot FSK RTTY continue

in use
in amateur radio. Hams like them. They're fun, and they work.

Morse - still used commercially, in the forces and aviation (ident calls).
AM voice - still used in broadcasting.
FSK RTTY - still used as anyone with a communications rig can tell you.

None of these are unique to AR.

There is no doubt that these modes work and "fun" to some people. This is
true even if you are a commercial operator. There are plenty of people who
actually enjoy their work.

BTW, not all hams like these modes. Many people don't like Morse, many also
don't like AM because of its bandwidth, especially in the lower bands and
most Amateurs don't use RTTY with or without the clunking teleprinter.

Ignorance would be to
assume that because one has experience in another service, that all of
his experience in that service directly transfers to amateur radio.

This is more accurate as there are some subtle differences between even

very
similar activities.

And some very big differences. Much of what is done in other radio

services
does not transfer to amateur radio at all. For example, every other radio
service I know of seeks to eliminate the need for a skill in the operation

of
the radio equipment. They think in terms of "user", not "radio operator".

And
given their constraints, it may make sense to do so, because it is usually

less
expensive to buy sophisticated equipment than to pay a skilled radio

operator.

How many Amateurs still neutralise their power amplifiers? No many. Why?
Because they have decided to buy (in most cases not build) more
sophisticated equipment that reduces the skill required to operate the
radio. There is no difference. I don't know too many Amateurs who go to buy
a rig and want the one that is the hardest to use.

But to hams, radio operating skill is the whole point.

Unsustainable if you listen to the bands. Most people do not even comply
with the statuatory requirements for identification, let alone push the
envelope of operating skills.

Are you suggesting that randomly monitoring the Amateur Bands for a few
hours would show a very high level of operating skill? I wouldn't bet the
farm on that one, would you?

As I said, AR is by no means "unique" in what it provides and there are many
people in the radio field, even if they don't hold an AR licence that would
have a "really good feel" of what the Amateur Serice is all about bases on
their other experiences.

It concerns me when Amateurs attempt to tell others that AR is "unique" and
that a non-amateur could never underestand what it is all about, because all
it does is reduce credibilty.

Mark

73 de Jim, N2EY