Old February 16th 04, 01:47 AM
Bill Sohl

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article . net,

"Bill
Sohl"
writes:

Free upgrades for Techs would affect about 322,000 hams. Last year

we
got
about
20,000 new Techs, so the proposed freebie would affect as many

existing
hams as
the new ones we might get in the next 10-15 years.

And how could the existing ham community possibly elmer these 300,000+

new
HF users should they all decide to be active shortly following that

free
upgrade. I hate to think of the resulting SSB DX pileups as it is

pretty
bad now. If a free upgrade goes through and significant numbers move

HF
within a short period of time, I suspect that we'll see a lot more DX
stations "hiding" in CW.

Which would, I think, foster more hams to learn and use morse code
if they really want that hot DX. And if more hams didn't learn
morse to work those DX stations, that'd give more opportunity
to work them via DX to current code capable hams. In either
case it sounds like something the code enthusiasts should be real
happy about.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

While that could be a supposed "bright spot", I don't think that is a

reason
for supporting codeless licenses and free upgrades.

That is certainly your perogative.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK