Old February 20th 04, 11:49 AM
William

"The Eternal Squire" wrote in message ...
Hi,

So far as I know, FCC regs allow the use of any code which is not intended
to obscure the meaning of
the message, and that this regulation can be satisfied by the mere
publication of the code. This email
is intended to publish a telegraphy (Morse) code so that it might be
permissible to use.

This might be a fun way for LOTR fans who are also hams to communicate.

I've taken a look at the tengwar structure, and from it determined that the
longs should be placed where
the bows are, the shorts should be placed where the the strokes are, that
shorter characters should have
shorter codes, and that mirror image characters would be mirror images of
each other. Special sequences
are used to resolved conflicts.

Telegraphy per se would not have evolved in Middle-Earth since the
technology went toward scientific
application of magic by Feanor, but the tengwar could very likely have been
adapted for the use of a
heliography (mirror-flash) code for communication between Quenya and Sindar
mariners. Vowels would
never have been transmitted, similar to the style of stone carving.

With this is mind, here is Tengwanor ("sunwriting"): You could probably
use machine translation from
English to English-Mode Tengwar to Tengwanor for the purpose of computer
assisted CW, or if you actually
can line up 2 people literate in Quenya or Sindarin try it with a key!

Namarie',

The Eternal Squire

COLUMN 1:

character sequence
---------- ----------
tinco . _ .
ando . _ . .
thule _ _ .
anto _ _ . .
numen _ . .
ore .

COLUMN 2:

parma . _ . _
umbar . _ . . _
formen _ _ . _
ampa _ _ . . _
malta _ . . _
vala _ . _

COLUMN 3:

calma . .
anga . . _ .
harma . _ _
anca . . _ _
noldo . . _
anna . _

COLUMN 4:

quesse _ . _ .
ungwe _ . _ . .
hwesta _ _ _
unque . . . .
nwalme _ _
wilya _

SPECIAL:

romen . . . _
arda . . . . _
harma . _ _ _
alda . _ _ _ _
silme . _ . _ .
silme nuquerna _ . _ . _
aze . . _ . .
aze nuquerna _ _ . _ _
hyarmen . . _ _ _
hwesta sindarina _ _ _ .
yanta . . .
ure _ _ _ _

TAFKA Rev. Jim says a Morse Code exam is a disincentive to the use of
CW on HF. If they won't learn Morse Code, why do you think they'll
learn this?