Old February 9th 04, 09:32 AM
Cecil Moore

Richard Harrison wrote:
John says on page 9-19:
"The rule for keeping the radiation resistance high is simple:
Use as long a vertical as possible (up to 90-degrees)
Use top loading

I arrived at the same conclusion many years ago by assuming the
current taper in a 75m loading coil would be maximum when the coil
was as far away from the feedpoint as possible. Using that assumption
and a few free parts from my junk box, my top loaded mobile equaled
the best of the best (and most expensive) at one of the CA 75m
shootouts. And that was with a pretty small capacitive top hat.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp