Old February 9th 04, 11:29 AM
RHF

CDE,

The CCRadioPlus has FM Stereo via the Headphones and LineOuts.
+ External Antenna Connections: AM is OK and FM is Poor.
+ Build-in-Speaker Sound: Designed for th Human Voice; but Good.
+ Price = $160 -&- Value = Good
http://www.radiointel.com/review-ccradioplus.htm

The GE Superadio III 'only' has Mono-Phonic FM Sound.
+ External Antenna Connections: AM is Ok and FM is Ok.
+ Build-in-Speaker Sound: The Best.
+ Price = $60 -&- Value = Very Good
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SuperadioIII/

The Tivoli Model One FM Stereo via the Headphones and Rec-Out.
+ External Antenna Connections: FM is Ok and AM None.
+ Build-in-Speaker Sound: Very Good.
+ Price = $100 -&- Value = Good
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/pm1blu.htm

The Grundig S350 has FM Stereo via the LineOuts
and only Mono-Phonic Sound via the Headphones.
+ External Antenna Connections: AM is Very Good and FM is Very Good.
+ Build-in-Speaker Sound: Very Good.
+ Price = $100 -&- Value = Best
http://www.radiointel.com/review-GrundigS350.htm

Recently claims have been made about the better than average
AM & FM Recetion of these radios:
* Cambridge Soundworks CD 740
* Sangean WR-1 Wooden Radio
* Sangean Q Radio

FWIW: I was not impressed with the FM Reception of the Tivoli Model
One.
- In the "Urban" SF Bay Area using an Omni-Directional "X" External
FM Antenna mounted at 28Ft. The Tivoli Model One performed as well
as the CCRadioPlus, GE Superadio III, Sony ICF-2010; Grundig S350;
and Grundig Satellit 800-M.
- In the "Rural" Twain Harte,CA location Up-in-the-Hills and
Down-in-the-Valley using an FM Reflect External FM Antenna located
on the second story of the house. The Tivoli Model One did not
performed as well as the CCRadioPlus, GE Superadio III, Sony ICF-2010;
and Grundig S350.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (ellisc)
= = = wrote in message . com...
tommyknocker wrote in message ...

It would be easier to buy a normal radio. For AM a CCRadio or GE
Superadio 3 would work. The best FM reciever there is is the Tivoli
Audio Henry Kloss Model One, but be prepared to plunk down mucho dinero
for one ($100 last time I checked) and it's not that great on AM. I'd go
with a SR3, or you can try to get an SR2, which some think had better
build quality, but since it's (obviously) an earlier, out of production
model it's hard to find.

The superradio isn't fm stereo, is it? I want stereo for fm
listening.

= = = From: ellisc )
= = = Subject: messing with a car radio
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew, rec.radio.amateur.antenna,
rec.radio.amateur.equipment, rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 2004-02-06 10:25:59 PST

I have an 80s model delco am/fm radio. I'd like to attach an external
long wire AM antenna, an external FM antenna, and rig something up so
I can listen to it with headphones at bedside.

Questions:

1. What do I need to do/build the headphone connection? Can I put
something together using the car radio speaker wires?

2. Is it possible to hook up the long wire antenna without getting too
complicated? Can I use the antenna plug on the radio in some way, or
will I have to get inside the box? I don't know a lot about
electronics. I have a soldering iron and have fixed the occasional
loose wire on things around the house, but not much more than that.

Or should I just forget it and buy a portable receiver? I mainly want
to listen to AM talk at night and a particular FM college station in
the next town. I read on several posts about using a car radio
because of the AM reception.

I've also thought about buying a used Grundig receiver, in particular
the S350. I think having the option of listening to shortwave might
be fun. Does this thing put out good audio via headphones?

Thanks.