Old March 2nd 04, 08:09 PM
JJ

Incognito wrote:
Where in Part 97 of the FCC Rules and Regs -- do you see the word "Hobby" ?
(answer nowhere)

and where do you see the word "Service" ?
Quote Title " PART 97 AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE"

Now am I to believe you or the FCC ??

Here in San Diego, a ham hiker overdid it and was grossly dehydrated- his
cell phone was not able to make a connection

But a Ham repeater that covers all of San Diego county worked just fine SD
County is 4,261 square miles.

A helicopter was sent in and after several hours in a hospital the dry ham
recovered
Now would you call that a hobby or a service ??

This has happened time after time in disaster situations and as Walter
Cronkite stated "Amateur Radio is probably the only fail-safe communications
in the world"

It is of no importance as to the ratio of cell phone calls to ham radio 911
calls.
What is important and vital is that we have both - wouldn't you say ?

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

We have to understand that there are those who envy ham radio and it's
long tradition to public servicea and it's ability to come to aid in
times of emergency, often being the only means of reliable
communications. These envious people are too lacking in knowledge or are
too lazy to do what is necessary to qualify for a ham license
themselves, so the best they can to is attempt to tear down an
institution that they cannot be, but desperatly want to be, a part of.