Old March 3rd 04, 02:04 PM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dee D.

Flint"
writes:

And if we get lucky it will perhaps cause some of that business to return

the US over time.

I wouldn't count on it, Dee. Unless the American people get a lot more

choosy
about what they buy.

The Bush Administration is so desperate for good numbers that last week

they
seriously investigated the possibility of redefining the work of hamburger
assembly. IOW, they asked why jobs at Burger Meister couldn't be

classified as
"manufacturing". Whether it's a Big Mojo Burger or a minivan, it's

assembly,
isn't it?

"No Millionaire Left Behind"

The reality of things economic is that, like it or not, we are in a global
economy and that isn't going to change. The drastic reduction in costs
of shipping (both importing and exporting goods) as well as
similar reductions for communications makes it cheaper to manufacture
and even provide certain service functions off-shore. That isn't
going to change in the short run. In the long run, those currently
cheap off shore labor markets will self adjust upwards. In the short
run, US labor has their head in the sand if they think there's something
either party (Dems or Reps) can really do to stem the shift of
manufacturing jobs overseas. The same thing is going on in Europe.

In the long run, employees must be constantly reevaluating their
job skills and looking at the prospect of how vulnerable their job
may be as to their job being farmed out to off shore labor.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK