Old March 4th 04, 02:40 AM
Leo

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:16:28 -0700, JJ
wrote:

Len Over 21 wrote:

The answer is painfully obvious...except for mobile installations
and shacks in the deep woods, there is very little emergency
preparedness by radio amateurs...in everything from equipment
to individual training.

Lennyboy you are so far off base it isn't even funny.

How so, JJ? I'd say that Len was quite correct on this one.

With few exceptions, all of the hams that I know are ragchewers,
contesters or experimenters. There are only a couple who actively
participate in the local ARES group, and they are the only ones with
the rudimentary training to handle an emergency situation without
hindering or interfering with it.

In fact, this appears to be the norm in the hobby, from my perspective
anyway - only a small percentage are actively involved in this area -
the rest, like me, are just in it for the hobby. Why not?

Of course, in an emergency situation, any of us would be willing to
pitch in and do whatever we could to help - but the vast majority of
us lack the organization, equipment and training that the professional
services have. For example, if an earthquake hit your area right now,
what would you do? Who would you contact, and on what frequency? Who
are the alternates, if he / she is not reachable? Who coordinates what
with the various professional agencies? Do you have a preassigned role
and duties that you have been trained and have rehearsed for? How
about radio equipment - do you have sufficient spare batteries to keep
operating during a prolonged power outage (and are they charged and
fully tested?), or a generator to keep a base station on the air? Do
you have back-up radio equipment in the event that yours fails? If
not, how much could you be counted on to be there if needed throughout
the entire emergency?

YMM, of course, V.....

73, Leo