Old March 4th 04, 11:29 AM
William

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
William wrote:

(Michael Black) wrote in message ...
Dave Heil ) writes:
William wrote:

The fact remains that many emergency calls were placed and got through
using cellular telephones.

Does that upset you or do you find it some sort of validation for your
latest peculiar theory?

Heaven forbid an emergency happens during a contest weekend!

How does a cellphone contest work?

Dave K8MN

This was discussed in CQ in the mid-sixties. The phone company wanted
to set up an alternative to amateur radio, including sending equipment
to rare countries for DXpeditions. But it would be all done over phone
lines.

I can't remember which year, 1965 or 1968 somehow ring a bell, but I
can definitely tell you it was in the April issue.

Michael

Michael, thank you. Now David's curiousity has an answer.

If he were even slightly interested in amateur radio contests, he
could seek out the publication "CQ," not defunct.

You wrote nothing of amateur radio contests, Brian. I subscribe to CQ
though they are not the only sponsor of amateur radio contests. Do you
know something about amateur radio contesting? Is your contest
knowledge equal to your knowledge of DXing?

Dave K8MN

David, I know enough to not use a cellular telephone in an amateur
radio contest. Wherever did you get that idea?