Old March 4th 04, 12:42 PM
Alun

(William) wrote in
m:

Dave Heil wrote in message
William wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message
William wrote:

The fact remains that many emergency calls were placed and got
through using cellular telephones.

Does that upset you or do you find it some sort of validation for
your latest peculiar theory?

David, there is no theory. I merely stated a fact.

Actually, that isn't quite correct. You've made this latest statement
attempt demonstrating that amateur radio is not something which would
be useful in an emergency.

That would be your theory, not mine.

Personally I'd want some amateur gear and a
cellular phone.

Personally, I try to avoid placing myself in a situation which becomes
an emergency. The next best thing is a cellular telephone, followed
by amateur radio.

Do you see evil in this?

Heaven forbid an emergency happens during a contest weekend!

How does a cellphone contest work?

David, now you're being obtuse. What's new?

Not at all, William/Brian. I simply responded to what you wrote. If
you had a more complex thought, you didn't express it.

Dave K8MN

Dave, it is you who lacks complex thought. I enjoyed your little
escapade of bringing a cellular telephone to an amateur radio
contest. Maybe even France will call you. You're still good for a
few laughs.

Cellular phone relies on a lot of infrastructure. Sure, if all the towers
are still up and there's power, then it will work. The same applies to our
repeaters, but we don't just have repeaters, we can still communicate
without them. If the whole area is levelled it will still be possible to
use ham radio.

Personally, I don't have a cell phone, so if I lost wired phone service I
would only have ham radio to fall back on. Oddly enough, cell phones have
not yet spread to every man, woman and child, but I don't know anyone who
doesn't have a phone number.