Old March 8th 04, 11:23 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

(William) wrote in message . com...
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) wrote in message . com...
Alun wrote in message . ..

In one way he does have a point. What I am alluding to is that prcisely
because it is a hobby we all have thousands of bucks worth of radios lying
around, and we can use them without wires and cell phone towers.

The "point" Lennie it trying to make us believe, Alun, is that
Amateur Radio is ONLY a hobby, with no intrinsic value to anyone
for any reason OTHER than recreation...That's not true.

Really? I don't see that at all.

That's because you have YOUR head so far up the Putzy One's anus
that you can't SEE anything else.

His ulterior motive is to discredit Amateur Radio's countless
contributions, not only to the "history" of radio, but to the
"service" of the Nation as a resource to be called upon in any number
of disasters or emergencies.

I'd suggest that you not rest on your laurels. Historically amateur
radio has provided an invaluable service to the nation. More
recently, more people have turned to cellular telephones to aid them
in an emergency. You do the math.

There's no math to do, Brain.

There's ALWAYS been more telephones than licensed Amateurs, yet
there's ALWAYS been a need for persons able to conduct emergency
operations via two-way radio.

The invention of the cellular telephone has not changed that at
all. Cellular telephones are still dependent on wire-line based
infrastructure and thousands of very expensivecellsites that are fixed
assets.

Fixed assets in a tornado are ALSO called "collateral damage".

Man-made events are just as devastating as recent events have
demonstrated.

He's unable to do that, either, but he obviously believes that if
he keeps repeating it often enough perhaps he and he alone can
re-write 90 years of history.

Get over the glory of our history. Mike Powell asks, "What has
amateur radio done for me lately?"

It's not "history", ya dimwit...It's RECENT current events. The
most recent firestorms in the west being testament to that.

Try again, Brain....

Steve, K4YZ