Old March 11th 04, 10:23 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message gy.com...

"William" wrote in message
You and Dee simply cannot accept that an unlicensed service has played
a major role in emergency comms.

I have never refused to accept the role of unlicensed services but I do not
let that blind me to the fact that amateur radio continues to play a
significant role. You are the one who cannot accept the fact that amateur
radio continues to play a major rule in emergency comms. My position is and
has always been that we need as many different forms of communication as
possible. No one can predict what services will or will not be knocked out
in the next emergency.

Actually, Dee, his "unlicensed services" frame is awfully narrow.
Only Class D CB, MURS and FRS are "unlicensed".

Cellphones are NOT a "radio service" as defined by any FCC
part...they are a FEE-FOR-SERVICE provided by common carriers who are,
indeed, licensed services providing that fee-for-service. Every one
of those carriers has a plethora of callsigns issued for thier
services. You,a cellphone "subscriber" are using your telephone under
the auspices of thier license.

There are some REACT groups remaining who continue to monitor
Class D CB to some degree, but most REACT groups participating in
organized "public service" events use GMRS which still requires an
FCC-issued station license.

FRS is used mostly as a "wireless intercom" within disaster
shelters or extremely close areas, NOT as a "major role" in providing
disaster relief communications.

And I am sure that MURS radios may be used in some areas just as
FRS is, but for no more than FRS is.

Brain's assertion that "unlicensed" services play a "major role"
in "emergency comms" is absolutely assinine. He'll wallow around in
this one for a long time to come trying to justify his claims and will
come out of it looking just as foolish as he has for his other
"claims".

I am sure his "definition" of "major role" is far from what REAL
IC's consider a "major role". The "unlicensed services" play no more
than a "bit part"...a "cameo" at best.

So Brain...what "major role" do "unlicensed services" play...?!?!

73

Steve, K4YZ