Old March 12th 04, 11:53 AM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(N2EY) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article , Alun
writes:

Then outside the disaster arena, there's all the marathons,
walk-a-thons, bike-a-thons and myriad other public events for which
hams routinely provide communications. Our club supports 4 or 5 of
these per year.

Those are good practice.

By the way, the Los Angeles Marathon was a success on Sunday,
record turn-out, everything run just fine.

What was your finishing time, Len? How were course conditions?

It can be done very well
without any amateur radio help

How do you know?

1. By reading about it in a respected newspaper.

Grit? USA Today, the newspaper for those who haven't the time for CNN's
in-depth coverage?

2. By viewing it on broadcast television.

You strike me as the kind of guy who has time for lots of things, like
watching an entire marathon in order to see if amateur radio is involved
or like making numerous lengthy posts to an internet newsgroup which
deals with an activity in which you are not a participant.

3. By knowing some details about it from one of its officials.

One official. Some details. Yep, that makes you an expert on the L.A.
Marathon.

Ever work at a race?

Not in a foot race.

Political race?

Why is that important to the "Economy, Stupid?"

Allow me to jog your memory. Jim responded to your comments. How did
they relate to the "Economy", Stupid?

LA and other major marathons have been using amateur radio operators
for race communications for years.

If you insist...and you WILL insist. You are a Believer.

He didn't insist. He provided you with a way to check out details.

Have you ever been IN Los Angeles?

Have you ever been in Bissau?

Have you ever worked IN any volunteer function here?

Did you ever worked in any capacity in Bissau?

YOU have NO relationship with the city of Los Angeles. I live here.
You don't.

YOU must BE an EXPERT. YOU live THERE so YOU must KNOW everything which
goes on THERE.

Reality check: ANY marathon foot race can be done with available
non-amateur radio communications readily available in any large
urban area. The first Olympic marathon event was done without any
amateur radio "help." Several Games after that had NO amateur
radio "help" and also succeeded.

That's nice. You were provided links to information which seems to
disprove your earlier statements. Your "first Olympic marathon" tap
dance isn't going to get you on "American Idol".

Maybe you didn't see the hams, so you just assume they are not there
and play no role. That's simply Not True.

I don't care one way or another about "ham radio help in marathons."

That's odd. You certainly seemed to care when you decided to take
another shot at amateur radio by bringing up the topic.

I know a marathon can be run WITHOUT amateur radio help. That's
been done many times.

A marathon. You brought up the Los Angeles Marathon. Run without
amateur radio help? Those links provided by Jim seem to disprove your
claims, kindly old gent.

You keep insisting amateur radio MUST be there...and that's simply
Not True.

What's not true is that amateur radio wasn't there. Look at the links.

Now go do some DX or gab expertly about The Economy, Kosher
Food, or choo-choo trains. Don't they need "ham radio help?"

Why, Len? Are you a ham?

Dave K8MN