Old February 10th 04, 07:18 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

You still don't accept the fact that the sign of the cosine of the phase
angle is related to one of two possible directions in a transmission line.

I don't accept all of you ideas about it, no. When adding two AC
signals, their relative phase determines whether the signals add or
subtract. I have no idea what you think it says about the direction an
"alternating current is traveling". That part of it is absolute
nonsense.

"Absolute nonsense." Translation: "I don't understand."

Jim, the real current, the current that exists in this real world, is
I*cos(phase_angle). In a wire, there are only two possible directions
for current flow. The sign of cos(phase_angle) yields the direction
of current flow, referenced to something, usually the source. In a wire,
current cannot stand still. Therefore, it must be flowing in one of
two directions. If the cos(phase_angle) is positive, convention has it
flowing toward the load. If the cos(phase_angle) is negative convention
has it flowing toward the source. Instantaneous AC current changes direction
every 1/2 cycle and every 1/2 wavelength. I notice that no one argued with
my peak current diagram in 2 wavelengths of transmission line.

Kraus says that antenna current reverses phase every 180 degrees (for a
thin wire). That assertion applies to either 180 degrees of time or 180
degrees of antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp