Old March 17th 04, 02:15 AM
N2EY

(quoting the NCVEC proposal)

In addition, the NCVEC proposed mandatory low
voltage to the final transmitter amplifier stage

What about the 110 AC line?

and that only commercially
manufactured transmitters be used by Communicator Class licensees.

Might as well call it "Appliance Class" and be done with it.

Communicator Class licensees must pass a simple 20 question
multiple-choice written exam and will be required to obtain, read and
certify their understanding of the Part 97 rules.

This is the worst part. We must fight this like the plague. What it *really"
means is that there will be *no* rules and regs questions on the 20 question
test!

It is precisely this sort of thing that messed up cb.

The VECs Question Pool
Committee feels that it is impossible to cover the FCC rules in what would
be a relatively few questions. The ARRL proposed 25 examination questions.

The old Novice I took was 20 questions, and we could homebrew. Which I did from
Day One. If a 13 year old kid with books for Elmers could safely build
transmitters in the hollowstate era, why all these additional limits today?

This petition was reviewed prior to submission by all 14 of the
VEC's around the country, and was approved by a 2 to 1 margin.

Which means a third of them disapproved. Were the individual VEs polled?

This NCVEC thing is very similar to the "Amateur Radio in the 21st Century"
paper by KL7CC. I wrote a detailed commentary on it some time back.

NCVEC's proposal makes the ARRL one look good. Which isn't saying much...

73 de Jim, N2EY