Old March 18th 04, 03:48 PM
William

JJ wrote in message ...

I just came from a seminar with USN Rear Admiral Daniel Stone, Director
of Logistics and Engineering for NORAD/USNORTHCOM, he reports directly
to General Eberhart, commander of NORAD. One of the issues discussed
was emergency communications in times of disasters like 9/11.

Absolutely should be discussed.

I ask him
about the use of cell phones during such times, he just laughed and said
that the cell phone network was useless for any emergency comms in such
a scenario.

For military use, absolutely. I wouldn't expect a senior military
official to respond differently.

Witless willie's cell phone network is not even a
consideration in their emergency planning.

Shouldn't be. It's not secure.

He also works with The Office
of Homeland Defense on emergengy communications issues and he confirmed
that the OHD is attempting to intergrate Amateur Radio in their plans
for emergency comms.

As they should; the military has backups to backups. Redundancy
equals Survivability.

Now lets talk about Average Citizen (AC). AC has actually used
cellular telephones IN the 9/11 emergency. Many ACs had successful
communications. AC has greater access to the cellular telephone
system than they have to amateur radio. For many ACs, cellular is
their emergency comms.

Do you doubt it?