Old March 18th 04, 07:16 PM
Mike Coslo

Steve Robeson, K4CAP wrote:
JJ wrote in message ...

And witless William also wrote:

I'm just so happy that you finally acknowledged that mere cell phones
play a major role in disaster communications. Or did you?

Sure they have and can, but when the cell network is down, ham radio
will be there if needed.

This weekend will see "Heartland Response 2004" conducted in
Western Tennessee and parts of Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky and
Missouri.

It will simulate (among other things) and earthquake along the
New Madrid fault.

One of the scenarios to be practiced for will be the loss of
commercial telephone service, both conventional hardline and wireless
service.

Oh oh! how on earth will their be any emergency services, not to
mention calling out for Pizza? ;^)

Of the several senarios that WON'T be playing will be one wherein
cellphones are deployed to provide "emergency comms" because of a loss
of RADIO communication, regardless of whose radio service it is.

Among other features to be deployed will be HIGHBIRD missions
flown by Civil Air Patrol to provide orbiting radio relay capabilites
in addition to datalink service.

Yours truly will be at the EOC in Nashville. As of this hour I
do not find the names of "Brian Burke" or "Leonard Anderson" among
those consultants being brought in by FEMA, The Army Corps of
Engineers, TEMA, or other supporting agencies.

I heard they were planning on checking in with their cellphones as part
of the CYHMNEPT (Can You Hear Me Now Emergency Preparedness Team) 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -