Old February 11th 04, 06:08 PM
Cecil Moore

mustang wrote:
Do you think it might help if I keep the close wound section to a half
wave or less, and make the remainder above and below the coil well
spaced?

Here's what I would try as a wild hair experiment. Wind the electrical 1/2WL
helix and find the frequency at which the impedance is purely resistive and
maximum. A GDO should accomplish that. That's the resonant frequency for an
end-fed 1/2WL monopole. Use some spacing and wind the remainder of the coil
opposite to the original, i.e. CW Vs CCW. This would theoretically put the
fields in phase on each side of that current node. It sounds very tricky and
I have never heard of it being done before, but it might work.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp