Old March 22nd 04, 01:58 PM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Ham-radio is a hobby not a service
From: (William)
Date: 3/19/2004 6:21 PM Central Standard Time
JJ wrote in message
Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

But NOT for the types of communications that were supported by

Amateur
Radio...that's the PURPOSE of Amateur Radio...to relieve those other

services
of having to worry about that.

Lets see if in the next emergency when another service is needed to
relieve other services, which the emergency officials call on first for
relief, lenny and witless william with their gameboy cell phones, or ham
radio.
Try as they may to discredit ham radio's usefullness in such times, the
military and civil authorities consider ham radio to be viable means of
communications in emergencies, but not the cell network.

JayJay, I happen to be an amateur. I have equipment. I have been
trained.

You are licensed. The FCC says so.

You may have equipment. Anyone can buy it.

From the nature of the posts you have made ehre, I doubt that any training
you have had has been anything anyone would call "adequate".

I am available should the need arise.

I will go to bed comforted tonight knowing you're out there, Brain.

I do not discredit amateur radio's usefulness in such times.

That is not the truth. You've made grossly disparaging remarks in this
forum on several occassions.

Yet you greatly discredit the impact that cellular telephones have
made on emergency communications.

The point remains: The "emergency agencies" continue to make plans for
the use of Amateur Radio to help provide communication needs in the advent of
loss of regular telephony services...Not to use telephony if Amateur Radio
fails.

Steve, K4YZ