Old March 23rd 04, 12:43 AM
William

(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message ...
Subject: Ham-radio is a hobby not a service
From:
(William)
Date: 3/21/2004 7:14 PM Central Standard Time

I suggest you tell Average Citizen that he or she needs to have an
amateur radio operator strapped to their hip for emergency purposes.

Where did I speak of the average citizen?

That's who I've been speaking of all along. Do try to keep up.

JJ...please take CAREEFUL note.

YOU were talking about disaster preparedness, those sets of plans in place
by your local or state EMA, FEMA, etc. And in the overall scheme of things,
you (and I) are correct.

You both couldn't be more wrong.

What you are describing is disaster planning by government agencies.

Disaster -preparedness- is taking action to make sure that personnel,
equipment and supplies are in-place in the event of a disaster.

However, you should note on the FEMA and State EMA websites that they
ask for the Average Citizen to make plans -and- preparations in the
event of a disaster.

While I realize that a family planning for disaster doesn't get to be
on a recall roster at the State Police or ARC, they don't get armbands
and it's not glamorous and they don't get awards and citations for it,
EVERY FAMILY IN A DISASTER AREA WHO DOES NOT DRAIN STATE AND FEDERAL
EMERGENCY RESOURCES IS AN ASSET IN THAT EMERGENCY.

Emergencies aren't just about continuity of government for crying out
loud!