Old March 23rd 04, 04:59 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Ham-radio is a hobby not a service
From: (William)
Date: 3/22/2004 6:26 PM Central Standard Time
JJ wrote in message
Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

From the nature of the posts you have made ehre, I doubt that any

training
you have had has been anything anyone would call "adequate".

Not so, he has been trained to program every emergency number he could
possibably need into his cell phone speed dial.

Good grief! Why wouldn't I just dial 911?

Because 9-1-1 (...NOT "911") is not always who you need to call.

Not every call to Fire, Police or EMS rates a 9-1-1 response.

Do you know the difference? Do you KNOW what's an "emergency" as opposed
to urgent or routine...?!?!

However when the cell
network is either down or so overloaded because of everyone attempting
to call home to say, "I'm ok turn on your tv", that he can't get a call
through, he can use his cell phone to play games until the emergency is
over.

Ever notice how immense those pyramid alert rosters get at the bottom?

Actually, the network goes down trying to notify enough amateur
volunteers who signed on but really aren't available.

Most of the "amateur volunteers" I know have scanners, pagers and radios
on...No cellphone necessary.

Steve, K4YZ