Old January 17th 05, 03:29 AM
Ken Bessler

Default Tuner smoke!

I have 2 HF antennas - a 160/80 trap dipole (coax traps)
fed with 60' of coax directly and a shortened Van Gordon
"All Bander", cut to 7.165 mhz, fed in the following order:

Tuner
20' RG58 coax leading outside
9 turns rg 58 on a 5-1/4" air form
50' 450 ohm ladder line
Antenna

I tried tuning the 160 antenna on 18mhz and the tuner was
fighting me all the way. Would I do better to try and only
use the 40m antenna with the tuner from 30-10m because
of the ladder line? I'm guessing that I'd do better on 60m
with the larger antenna but I'm not sure. 95% of my HF
operating is below 7.300mhz, where the tuner is in bypass
mode.

Facts:

Rig FT-857D
Power 100w
Tuner: MFJ-941C
The big antenna resonantes at 1.875 & 3.890 mhz.....

73's de Ken KG0WX