Old February 12th 04, 05:53 PM
KA9CAR

I have a few thoughts.
I used a 3 / 3 Yagi for 10 years.

I currently have a 5 band 2 element Quad, one feedline to a switch box on
the boom, then series sections to match.

I chose the quad to minimize turning radius. My Yagi hung over the fence
line to the neighbor, the quad does not.

The verticle size is a challenge.

My local tower ordinance is 35 feet to the top of the structure. The top
of the quad is the top of the structure.

I had the tower inspected before I put up the quad.

Standing on my Garage roof I can adjust the 20 meter elements.

An effect that I notice, that I did not have with the Yagi, is that the
tuning changes based on the direction that the
quad is pointed. I attribute this to the proximity to the aluminum sided
garage, and a couple of trees.

Visual impact has not been an issue. It is shorter than the trees, which is
probably why I have not had any city trouble with the
hieght of the top of the quad.

"Thierry" To answer me in private use
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote in message
Hi,

Before investing in a future antenna I have discussed on my site about
antennas designs, quad vs yagi or log.
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/antenna4.htm
I would like to get more information from users. If you used both quad and
Yagi, I should be curious to know your opinion about both designs, pro and
cons in various conditions of work (installed on the roof, 10m away fro

the
hosue, 2m high only, etc).

I need for example some more information about the noise generated by a

yagi
vs a quad or any other relevant information at which I don't think about.
For example, at first "sight" the quad generates 5-10 dB less than a quad.
Have you some similar information or other with all relevant data (nbr of
elements of concerned antennas, wind speed during measurements, location

of
antenna, etc).

Also, I am interested in the drawbacks of each model (quad, yagi, log). I
discuss about this problem too, but I 'd like to go further in this

matter.
The question is : why did you choose - or didn't choose - this design
(another reason than its price with is of course the main factor).

Thanks in advance

Thierry
ON4SKY